Toshiba Laptop won’t connect to WiFi? Toshiba users encounter this issue while trying to establish a connection between laptop and router. Sometimes the issue is temporary and it could be fixed easily, but if the problem persists, we advise our readers to go through this article to find fix fixing methods for Toshiba laptop won’t connect to wifi issue.
Make sure to follow the instruction chronologically as we have put them in the correct sequence.
- 1 How to Fix Toshiba Laptop won’t connect to WiFi?
Toshiba Laptops have state of the art configuration but sometimes they fail at small errors. One of the key factors for this error is the faulty network driver and an issue with the IP address. If the network adaptor driver is not compatible with the router, it can restrict the laptop from connecting to the wifi.
Antivirus and firewalls can also influence the issue as they block laptops from accessing the internet. We have taken all of the reasons into consideration and created a simple instruction on fixing Toshiba laptop wifi not connecting issues.
For every network issue, always restart your router first. Routers and modems provide the internet to all the devices but they can cause connectivity issues too. when the user restarts their router by disconnecting the power cable, it will force shut down the router. Wait for a couple of minutes before restarting the router will flush all the DNS cache and fix any IP issue as well. When the router restarts, try to connect your laptop to wifi, if you are still facing the issue, try other methods.
The network driver allows the router to initiate a connection between laptop and router. If the drivers are outdated or corrupted, it could hinder the laptops ability to connect. This is one of the key reasons for the “laptop won’t connect to wifi” issue. Here is the process to update network driver,
- Open device manager from the menu or type “devmgmt.msc” from Run Windows(Windows+R)
- Now find wireless adaptor option under network adaptor, right click on it and select update
- Now select the “search automatically for updated driver software” it will find latest update for the wireless driver and update it.
Users can download Toshiba laptop driver directly from their website and update them. Once the update is installed, restart your PC and check for the connection. If the issue still persists and the laptop could not connect to wifi, then try other methods.
If the above method doesn’t work and an updated wifi driver doesn’t solve the issue, then it’s time for uninstalling the wifi driver. Sometimes when drivers get corrupted, they can create issues and cause errors in the system. Here is how to uninstall wifi driver,
- Go to device manager and find wifi driver in network adaptor,
- Now right click on the wifi driver and select uninstall option from the list,
Once you uninstall the driver, restart your PC. After that windows will automatically detect the missing driver and install the default version of wifi driver. This will fix the corrupt driver issue and allow the laptop to connect with the router. However, if you are still struggling with the laptop not connecting with wifi issue, try other methods.
wifi channel width decides the speed and connection for the device. If the user’s laptop won’t connect to wifi, then changing wifi channel width can fix the issue. Here is the process,
- open control panel and find network and sharing option
- then select change adaptor settings from the left hand side
- Now choose the wifi option you are currently trying to access, right click on at select properties
- In the properties, click on the configure button under the driver name,
- Then select the advance tab, choose bandwidth under properties and select 20MHz only in the value,
Now save the settings, restart your PC and try to connect with the internet. This will change the bandwidth for the channel and set it to 20MHz which is considered one of the best widths for a faster connection. However, if you are still facing problems for Toshiba laptop won’t connect to wifi, try other methods.
Modern antiviruses deliver many advanced features to protect users. One of them is a firewall that prevents any harmful connection, but sometimes it doesn’t differentiate between a valid connection and a harmful one. If use’s laptop won’t connect to wifi, maybe antivirus is preventing the system to access the router. Turn off or disable antivirus temporarily to check for the error. Here is the process to turn off Avast antivirus temporary,
- Go to Avast icon in the taskbar
- Right-click on the icon and select avast shield control and select time
- It will turn off avast antivirus and firewall temporary
Now check for the connection, if users still cannot establish internet access for their Toshiba laptop, try other methods.
We have eliminated network driver, router, firewall and bandwidth issues from the table, the only thing left is the IP address. Sometimes IP addresses could cause conflict between router and laptop’s wifi driver. We can reset the IP address to fix this issue. Here is the process,
- Open command prompt with administrative permission
- type “ipconfig/flushdns”
- This command will flush the DNS and give you a message of Successfully flushed DNS Resolver Cache. Now type “ipconfig/release”
- With this command, it will remove the IP address of your computer. Now, in order to get new IP from DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), we need to type, “ipconfig/renew”. This will assign a new IP address (or the old one) to your computer
Once you get the new IP try to connect laptop to wifi. It will surely fix the error of laptop won’t connect to wifi issue right away.
- Why my Toshiba laptop won’t connect to wifi network?
There are several reasons for this issue like faulty or outdated wifi driver on the laptop that could not establish a connection. Other reasons include IP issues, improper bandwidth and antivirus firewall preventing the laptop from accessing the internet.
- How to fix the laptop not connecting to wifi?
Following method will fix the laptop wifi not working issue,
- Restart your Router
- Update Network Adaptor Driver (wifi driver)
- Reset/Uninstall Network Adaptor Driver (wifi driver)
- Reset Channel Width for wifi
- Disable or Temporary Turn Off Antivirus Firewall
- Reset your IP address
- Can my antivirus stop my laptop from connecting to wifi?
Yes, antivirus scans all the incoming and outgoing connections for the system. If they find any irregularities, they can block the connection.
When your Toshiba laptop won’t connect to wifi, always restart your laptop and router first. Sometimes the issue could be minor alteration that could be easily fixed by a simple reboot. We have introduced the causes and the fixing methods for the error Toshiba laptop won’t connect to wifi, in this article. If you have any questions about the laptop wifi issue, ask us in the comment section.