ERR_TIMED_OUT is one of the most common issues in chrome browser. It’s just a temporary timed out error that indicates lost connection between website and browser. Sometimes when users are trying to access any website but encounters a timed out error, it’s because of an issue with the DNS server or Chrome issue. Read this article to find out more about how to fix the Err_Timed_Out issue in Chrome.
- 1 What is ERR_TIMED_OUT in Chrome?
Time out error in google chrome is associated with network issues or internet problems. When a user tries to access any website on the browser and it takes an excess amount of time, they face an error timed with “site can’t be reached” message. Most users face this issue when internet speed is low or they are facing DNS issues.
One of the most occurring issues on chrome is corrupt caches and browsing data. This issue triggers other errors like timed out errors in chrome. For any chrome related error, always clean your browsing data first to fix the error. Here is the process,
- Visit Chrome’s menu and find more tools
- Then find clear browsing data, now select all three options and click on clear data.
Once you clear all the browsing history, restart your chrome browser and try to access any website. If you are still facing a timed out error, try other methods.
Incognito mode is much safer and secure than chrome browser. If the issue originates from chrome settings, we can access any websites from incognito mode. However, if you are still facing the same timed error in chrome, try other methods.
Resetting Chrome settings to default can fix the error timed out issue. Sometimes when users accidentally change any settings, it can create conflict between network and browser. Here is the process to reset chrome settings to default,
- Open Chrome menu and find settings, then click on the advance option and find reset and clean up
- Now expand the option that reads, “Restore settings to their original defaults”
- After that click on the reset button
This will reset google chrome to default settings. now check for the Err_Timed_Out in the browser, if you are still facing this issue, try other methods.
Chrome extensions are small apps that allow users to execute minor tasks. However, most extensions are made by third party developers and they continuously use the data in the background. This could create conflict and interrupt the incoming connection that results in ERR_TIMED_OUT. Here is the process to disable chrome extension,
- Open Chrome menu, select more tool and click on extension option
- Now Disable Chrome extensions from the list
If any of the methods doesn’t solve the issue, we can simply reinstall the browser. If the issue is associated with the browser, uninstalling Google chrome can fix the error. First uninstall your browser, remove all the data and restart your PC. After that, go to the official google chrome website and download the latest Chrome browser. Make sure to remove the default folder from the chrome file. Open run windows and type “%LocalAppData%\Google\Chrome\User Data\”, now find the default browser and delete it. It will remove all the accounts and data associated with the old browser. Now install chrome and check for the err_timed_out issue. If you are still struggling with this, try other methods.
DNS converts IP addresses to URLs for the users and saves caches for faster access. However, if the DNS caches get corrupted, it could hinder the internet connection for the user. we can remove all the cache files and data by flushing the DNS. Here is the process,
- Open command prompt with administrative permission
- Now type “ipconfig/flushdns”
- It will flush the DNS and give you a message of Successfully flushed DNS Resolver Cache. Now type “ipconfig/release”
- With this command, it will remove the IP address of your computer. Now, in order to get new IP from DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), we need to type, “ipconfig/renew”
- This will assign a new (or the old one) to your computer
Once a user flush the DNS, they can change it with something more secure than the original DNS assigned by their internet provider. Here is the process for changing DNS to google DNS,
- Go to control panel, find Network and sharing, select change adaptor settings
- After that right-click on the Ethernet (or Wi-Fi) and select properties
- Select internet protocol and go to properties
- Change DNS to check the box validate settings upon exit and click ok
- Preferred DNS server: 22.214.171.124
- Alternate DNS server: 126.96.36.199
Once you change your default DNS to google DNS, check for the ERR_TIMED_OUT issue in the browser. If you are still facing the issue, try other methods.
If the error timed out issue occurs only with one website, then we can fix it with windows host file. Windows Host files have all the information related to DNS and network. Here is the process,
Open notepad with administrator permission
Now use the notepad to open the host file at “C:\\Windows\System32\drivers\etc”
Now check the text files and look for the website name you are unable to access. If you find the name inside the host file, it could have been blocked by the network or browser. Remove the website name and save the file again. Now open chrome and check for the error timed out issue. If you still find the error, try other methods.
Firewalls protect users from malicious links and viruses. But sometimes it blocks genuine websites under suspicion and users cannot access it. We can block the firewall to check if the issue is associated with the firewall or not. Here is the process,
- Search firewall in the menu and find windows defender
- Then select Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off
- Now, uncheck “Block all incoming connections, including those in the list of allowed programs” in both private and public networks and select the options that reads “turn off the window defender”
This will fix the ERR_TIMED_OUT problem in the browser. Make sure to restart your PC to save settings and check the website for any error.
- What is Err_Timed_Out in Google Chrome?
When users are trying to access any website and it is interrupted by network, DNS, Corrupt caches or firewall, it produces the error timed out with “site can’t be reached” message.
- How to Fix Err_Timed_Out?
Following methods can fix error timed out issue in google chrome,
- Clear Browsing Cache and Data
- Open in Incognito mode
- Reset Chrome settings
- Disable Chrome Extension
- Reinstall Chrome Browser
- Flush and Change DNS
- Modify Windows Host Files
- Disable Firewall
- Is error connection timed out and error timed out are the same?
Both of the errors are associated with google chrome connection issues. However, connection timed out indicated a problem with the internet connection and timed out error is for browser issue.
Timed out error in google chrome is one of the most annoying occurrences for users. Users cannot access the internet and are trapped at the “site can’t be reached” message. We have introduced the causes and the fixing methods for the ERR_TIMED_OUT, in this article. If you have any questions about timed out error in chrome, ask us in the comment section.