How to disable the laptop keyboard? If you have this question, then you are in a desperate need to turn off your keyboard. There are several reasons behind users wanting to disable native keyboards in laptops like malfunctioning or frozen keys and cleaning. The laptop keyboard works simultaneously with an external keyboard and that could create issues sometimes. Read this article to find how to disable laptop keyboard in Windows 10?
- Open Device manager from the menu or open Run windows(Windows+R) and type “devmgmt.msc”
- Now find your keyboard and right-click on it to select properties
- Now go to the driver tab and click on disable device button
Once you disable the laptop keyboard, restart your device to save settings. when you want to enable laptop keyboard, go back to device manager and simply uninstall it and reinstall it.
If the above method doesn’t work, then you can restrict the keyboard from installing again. Once users stop the keyboard from reinstalling after every reboot, they can permanently disable keyboard on laptop. Here is the process,
- First, we need to find device ID, for that, go back to the device manager and open keyboard properties
- Now go to detail tab and select “Hardware Ids” from the property list
- Under the value, you can find all the device ID for the laptop, keep that tab open
- Open run windows and type “gpedit.msc” and press enter
- It will open Local Group Policy Editor
- Then under computer configuration, follow this path,
Device Installation Restrictions
- Now find “Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device instance IDs” option, right click on it and select edit
- After that select enable and click on the “show” button
- Now go back to device manager and find laptop keyboard device ID, copy them and paste it in the box that opens after you click on the show button and press ok
After that go back to the device manager and uninstall the laptop keyboard. Now restart your PC and once it rebooted, check the keyboard. If it’s still working, repeat the same method with a different device ID from the list. This will permanently disable laptop keyboard. If you want to undo this, go back to group policy and check the box that reads “Not configured”.
We can update the laptop keyboard with the wrong driver to make it stop working. However, if both laptop and external keyboard use the same driver, it won’t work. Sometimes when we update with the wrong driver, users can face a Blue screen of death(BSOD) error.
- Open device manager and find your laptop keyboard driver, now click on the update button
- Now select “browse my computer for driver software” option
- After that choose the option that reads “Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer”. This will allow users to choose the wrong driver for keyboard
- After that user will receive a warning not to install the driver as its not compatible with the device. Press yes and install the driver.
After that restart your PC and it will disable laptop keyboard. If you want to start using the keyboard, go back to the device manager and reinstall the correct driver.
If all of the above methods fail and users cannot disable their laptop keyboard, they can download third party apps like “simple disable key”. Users can disable keyboard, disable keys and perform various tasks with it. However, these apps can create other conflicts too which can harm your system settings. make sure to find authentic software to disable laptop keyboard.
- Is it possible to disable a laptop keyboard?
Yes, users can enable or disable any devices on Windows operating systems including laptop keyboards. If any of the laptop keys are jammed or frozen, we can disable laptop keyboard to fix this issue.
- How do I disable my laptop keyboard when an external keyboard is plugged in?
Go to the device manager, find the laptop keyboard driver and select the disable option. Then restart your PC and it will disable native keyboard laptop without disabling the external keyboard.
- How do I permanently disable my laptop keyboard in Windows 10?
Open device manager and select the laptop keyboard driver, choose the update option and manually update it with the wrong driver. This will disable laptop keyboard, however, it can create conflicts with other devices and produce BSOD error as well.
- How to Disable laptop keyboard in Windows 10?
Following methods allows users to disable native keyboard in laptop,
- Disable keyboard with Device manager
- Disable Laptop keyboard with Group Policy
- Update with Wrong Driver
- Use Third Party Apps to Disable Laptop Keyboard
Disabling the laptop keyboard is the last thing anyone wants to do, but circumstances demand us to disable it. From frozen keys to warm seats for cats, every user has different reasons to disable the native keyboard on laptop. In this article, we have provided all the information about how to disable laptop keyboard in Windows 10? We have also cautioned against using some of the methods in this article which could harm the system. If you have any questions about disabling laptop keyboard, ask us in the comment section.