Wondering How to Disable Cortana in Windows 10? Well if the answer is yes then read on. Almost every tech company out there implementing their virtual assistant with their products. For example, Android smartphones come with Google Assistant, Samsung devices come with Bixby and Microsoft devices comes with Cortana.
With the Microsoft Windows 10, Microsoft made Cortana an integral part of Windows 10. Plus to make the virtual assistant work in a great way the company keeps releasing major updates. When it comes to Cartona well, it is one of the best virtual assistants out there. It can search your computer for files, can display notifications, can send emails, set reminders and so many other tasks that Cartona can do on the basis of voice commands.
- Active Directory Domain Services Currently Unavailable in Windows 10
- How To Fix “windows update cannot currently check for updates” Error In Windows 7
- How To Fix Windows Update Stuck or Not Working
However, despite being one of the helpful tools, there are so many users out there who want to disable it. And the reasons behind it can be many. However, the common reasons are Most of the people are not familiar with it. Or they do not want to use voice command.
Hence people go ahead and turn down the voice assistant. However back in the days, it was kind of easy to turn of Cortana. You just need to toggle off the feature and you are done.
But after Microsoft rolled out the Anniversary Update, it is no longer possible. Plus Microsoft launched another update which is the Windows 10 Creators Update. After this update disabling Cortana can mess up your whole computer, and you have to reinstall Windows 10 again. And we do believe that you simply do not want to reinstall your windows 10. So the question is How to Disable Cortana in Windows 10? Well, let’s just go ahead and answer this question.
How to Disable Cortana in Windows 10
There are so many people out there who disable Cortana for privacy reasons. In case if this is the main reason why you want to turn it off. There are a couple of settings that you can do. So let’s just go ahead and talk about it:
Prevent Cortana from knowing you:
In order to prevent Cortana from knowing you. For this, you have to head into the settings of Cartona and close all the ways the Cartona uses to track your steps. However to make you understand better, here are a couple of steps that you have to follow:
- First of all, you have to click on that large search box or the Cortana icon located next to the start menu.
- Now click on the gear icon, this will open Cartona’s setting page.
- When you are on the settings screen, simply turn off every toggle from on to off.
- Now scroll down to the bottom of the settings panel and look for the Change what Cortana knows about me in the cloud option and click on it.
- Now Microsoft will start fetching a page from the internet called Personal Information in the same Start panel.
- When the page gets loaded completely, look at the bottom of the page and click on the Clear button and you are done.
Furthermore, to serve you in a better way, Cortana collects different data about your typing and talking. So in case if you want to turn that off, here are the steps that you have to follow:
- At first, click on the Start button.
- Now click on the Settings gear icon.
- From here select Privacy.
- Now from the left panel, you have to look for the Speech, inking & typing options.
- In the end, you have to click on Stop getting to know me.
However, if you want to turn off Cortana on Windows 10 completely. Then there are all the steps that you have to follow:
How to Disable Cortana in Windows 10 Completely?
Well if you have done the above process then do let us mention the fact those settings will only prevent Cortana from collecting your data. But it will be still there in the background running its operations. So to get rid of it, there is a lengthy process that you have to follow. Also, the steps differ from different windows versions. Such as Home, Pro or Enterprise. Anyway, let’s talk about the steps:
How to Disable Cortana in Windows 10 Pro
- First of all click on the start key.
- Then over here you have to search for the Edit group policy and launch it.
- After that simply navigate to the computer configurations.
- Then look for Administrative Templates.
- Now go to the Windows Components
- Then click on Search.
- Over here you have to find the Allow Cortana option and double-click to open it.
- In the click on disabled and hit the ok button.
How to disable Cortana on Windows 10 Home
- At first click on the start key.
- Then search for the regedit, and launch it.
- After that, you have to navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
- Then SOFTWARE
- Now click on Policies
- Then click on Microsoft and select Windows.
- After that right click on the Windows directory and choose New > Key.
- Over here you have to type in Windows Search, and hit enter.
- From here you have to select Windows search located on the right side.
- Then right-click on the empty area and choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Now type down AllowCortana, and hit enter.
- Now double click on the AllowCortana, and enter 0 under the value data option.
In the end, restart your computer, and the Cortana should be disabled permanently. Also instead of “Ask me anything” you will get to see the “Search Windows” option.
So that was the answer to your question that says How to Disable Cortana in Windows 10. Now go ahead and try the steps out and see how it is working for you.
Also if you make any mistakes, then you might have to reinstall your Windows 10 operating system. So do consider taking a backup before doing anything. Anyway, if you have any questions to ask, feel free to comment below.